Membership Program 2022 – 2023
Membership through Community Involvement. We need to be pro-active when it comes to recruiting new members and retaining current members. Don’t rely on people to join and renew on their own. Reach out and encourage them.
District Membership Liaisons (DML)
The Department Membership Director will identify individuals that best represent the VFW within their respective district. DML’s are charged with being the first line of contact within the community for new and prospective members.
· Research and schedule membership table opportunities on their own or with guidance from the Department Membership Director.
· Establish lines of communication between DML members, Post Commanders, and Community representatives.
· Seek out community outreach opportunities.
· Build and maintain relationships with businesses, schools, municipal agents…etc.
· Report all activities to Department Membership Director.
District Membership Liaisons will nominate ONE member that best represents their post to new and current members. Post Ambassadors must meet the following criteria:
· Good communication skills.
· Welcoming and encouraging attitude.
· Knowledge of VFW programs.
· Willingness to receive calls from new members and DML’s.
New Member Timeline
1 week – Call to ensure member has received their ID.
Yes – Congratulate and invite them to the next meeting so you can formally induct them.
No – Confirm that it is on the way and check back within 5 days.
1 Month – Inquire if the member has visited the Post.
Yes – Ask how their visit went. Do they have any feedback about the Post? Let them know about volunteer opportunities.
No – Ask if there is a day that you can personally meet up. Highlight a few upcoming events.
6 Months – Ensure that the member is receiving the Post newsletter, followed Post social media.
1 Year – Ask what they thought of their first year in the VFW. REMIND them that they are UNIQUE, DIFFERENT, and SPECIAL and that they have a place in the VFW. REMIND them of their renewal date. Outline the benefits of becoming a LIFE member and the ways that it can be purchased.
Four times a year the Posts and Districts will be encouraged by the Director to hold a membership drive or activity. These activities should not require spending at the Post or District level. Please reach out to the Membership Director if you have any questions or concerns.
Patriots Day Push (Sep 11)– Patriots Day weekend. Reach out in your community to see if there are any Patriots Day activities planned. A great opportunity would be to present the colors at a high school football game. Use this opportunity to recruit new members as well as renew interest in the Post.
Veterans Day Push – Veterans Day weekend. Local media will be wanting to run stories about Veterans in their communities. Contact them first! Participate in parades in any way possible. Contact local recruiters and see if you can talk to new recruits. They are our future.
Christmas Push – Encourage families to purchase Life Memberships or Legacy Memberships for the Veterans in their lives. See if there is a Toy for Tots drive in your area. Ask if you can host or seek donations on their behalf.
April Open House – Hold an event that is open to the public to bring them into your Post. Open the doors and shed some light on all the great things the VFW does for Veterans and the community. Highlight the Patriots Pen/Voice of Democracy program, Teacher of the Year and First Responder awards, community service activities, or just hold a dinner. If you don’t have a physical post, reach out to another Post within your district or find a space within the community.
Please be aware that all of the above activities can and should also be reported in your monthly Activities Report. One Team, One Dream!
Membership Program Awards
· Any Post the obtains 100% in membership will earn a banner.
· Any Post that obtains 100% by Fall Conference will be entered into a drawing for $200.00. Deadline is the 1stmorning of Fall Conference. Drawing will occur at Fall Conference.
· Any Post that achieves 100% by Mid-Winter Conference will be entered into a raffle for $200. Deadline is the 1stmorning of Mid-Winter Conference. Drawing will occur at Mid-Winter Conference.
· The top 10 recruiters in the Department will earn a 2021 Membership Team polo.
· The top recruiter in the Department will receive a 2021 Membership Team Captain polo.
· The District with the most recruiters who have recruited or reinstated 5 or more members will earn a certificate and $250.00. Each eligible recruiter must have recruited or reinstated at least 5 members.
· The Post in each division with the most recruiters who have recruited or reinstated 2 or more members will earn a certificate and $200.00. Each eligible recruiter must have recruited or reinstated at least 2 members.
Division 1, 0-99 members
Division 2, 100-199 members
Division 3, 200-299 members
Division 4, 300+ members
All Membership Awards are derived from the numbers coming from the National Membership MemStats and or records retained by our National Membership Department in Kansas City. In order to receive recruiter credit, you MUST put your NAME and VFW MEMBERSHIP ID NUMBER on the membership application form. It is crucial the POST QUARTERMASTER include the recruiter information when transmitting ALL MEMBERS, NEW and REINSTATED, to the National Membership Department. It is the responsibility of the RECRUITER and POST QUARTMASTER to ensure this is done.
Department Membership Chairman/Post 2144 Commander
8491 146th Ave
West Olive, MI